Getting Started as a Therapy Team
1. Pass the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test.
2. Pass a leading agency’s Therapy Dog Certification Test.
- Click on the preferred links below for more information on each agency’s testing requirements, schedule and locations.
Please note that RRTD does not accept teams certified by Therapy Dogs INTERNATIONAL. We are happy to help you set up re-testing with one of the above agencies.
3. Fill out our Volunteer Application, then contact us. We’ll arrange a meeting with our Welcome Team. They will answer any questions and help you to:
- Submit to a PA State Police Criminal Background Check. Click the control number to view your results. Click the “Certification Form” link in the center of the page to view, save and print your official certificate. There is no charge for this background check for volunteers.
- Apply for a PA Child Abuse History Certification. Click “Create Individual Account”. The Keystone Key is a user name you create. Follow the site’s step-by-step instructions for creating a password. Be sure to keep a record of your Keystone Key and Password as you will need them to access your results. You will receive an email from the site when your results are available, within 14 days of your submission. There is no charge for this background check for volunteers.
- Submit an FBI Fingerprinting Clearance. Register online on the Cogent site; complete the registration form choosing “School Districts” as the Reason Code. Please register through the Cogent PA Dept of Education site, not the PA Dept of Human Services or PA Dept of Public Welfare. There is a fee for the FBI background check.
For more information on getting started and training your dog for the CGC or therapy dog evaluations, please contact Susie Danzis at Training Tails Dog Training.